Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Smelly ol' Wednesday

Lame post alert!! Lame post alert!! (I'll be better next week on this topic...I hope.)

Hmmm...I'm sitting here thinking about what the heck to write about smells as a blog topic. And to think I have to do this every week...yikers. This might be the day I find hardest to blog about.

My favorite smell factoid: How it can take you back in time like nothing else ever could. I find that freaking fascinating.

Love these smells: onions, bread baking, popcorn (but not to eat), coffee, patchouli (recently discovered this), lavender, freshly washed hair, just before it rains, fresh cut grass, sweet olive trees in bloom,

Hate these: rose/flower perfume of any kind, poopy diapers, pee diapers, mustard, moldy clothes that sat in the washer too long, pickle juice, jalapenos, olives,

Did you know:
Everyone has his or her own unique odor-identity or “smell fingerprint. No two people have the exact same odor-identity or “smell fingerprint” which is determined by many factors including: our genes, skin type, diet, medicine, mood state and even the weather.

No two people smell the same odor the same way. In other words, a rose may smell sweeter to some people than to others. In fact, according to neuropsychologist, Robert Bonkowski, a person never experiences one smell the same way twice. Furthermore, an individual’s ability to detect odors changes from day to day, depending on his or her physiological condition.

Our sense of smell becomes stronger when we are hungry.

Your nose can smell directionally, telling you where an odor originates.

Your sense of smell is least acute in the morning; our ability to perceive odors increases as the day wears on.

A woman’s sense of smell is keener than a man’s. However, her sensitivity does change over the menstrual cycle. These changes are influenced by estrogen, which increases smell acuity in the first half of a woman’s cycle. It peaks at a time when women are most fertile and most sexually responsive.

Peace out, see ya tomorrow with something much more interesting...let's hope.

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

girl! smells!! i swear i could write about smells all the time!
at the gym, especially! the smelly dude behind me had 1) mildewy clothes and 2) B.O. BLARF!!! PLUS, myself! My sweaty workout shoes were in my workout bag with my clean workout clothes...in the hot sun....all day. SO by the time i started my class i could smell my stanky shoes in my shirt as i hopped around. Guh-ROSS!!

lovelovelovelove stargazer lilies. it's not for everyone though. my mom, for instance, HATEs.